Please help the iPhone's Khmer localization

Sunday, August 23, 2009

The difficulty in the translation process

Here they are:
-- we don't have much technical words in Khmer
-- we don't know exactly where the translated phrases are shown in the phone
-- when we want to change the translation of a particular word, we have to go through all the files we've translated to edit them.

My personal translated word: Airplane to ប្រើ​លើ​យន្តហោះ . If we just translate the word Airplane to យន្តហោះ , I think it's difficult for people to understand. This word is shown in Settings and there is more space there so I added the word ប្រើលើ in front of it. In order to have a good translation, it is necessary to know where it is shown and its function.

Any idea or suggestion about the translation process, please let us know.

5 comments:

Trilingi said...

If you want technical words in Khmer, I found a really good page here that is all translated.

http://softlayer.dl.sourceforge.net/project/khmer/English-Khmer%20Glossary/English-Khmer%20Glossary%20of%20Computer%20Terms%20Version%203.2/Glossary_3.2.pdf

I think Khmer OS did a fine job in creating computer terms for Khmer. It could help in translating iPhone into Khmer.

Cutevoodoo said...

Yes Khmer OS did good in translation, but sometime they translate more than normal! Such as Firefox, they translate to មេខលា . Why don't just add Khmer Language Pack to Firefox?

Anyway the word Airplane mode I suggest: ម៉ូដលើយន្តហោះ

Vibolka said...

I used to find the Khmer OS translation but I didn't find one on the homepage. I searched in google again today and I found it.

I almost finish the translationof SpringBoard.strings.
I'll upload it today.

My personal idea, I want to use foreign word as less as I can.

OK, let's change it to ម៉ូដលើយន្តហោះ.

Trilingi said...

You want it to be as less foreign as possible?

How about we translate the word Airplane mode to របៀបយន្តហោះ ?

Vibolka said...

I knew the word "Mode" is translated to របៀប. I also think it sounds good here, how about the other place? For example, when it is used in a sentence.

ok. i'll put this into poll section. Please vote for this.